Would you like to know How to Get Silly Putty Out of Carpet? Has your child grown tired of playing with Silly Putty, and now you are left with a bit of a mess to clean on your carpet? We hear you! Silly Putty can be one of the stickiest substances you’ll find, even next to Superglue. The reason why today we’ll be telling you about everything you need to know about how to get Silly Putty out of the carpet or rugs.
If you bought silly putty for your kid’s entertainment, know that you must learn the right methods and techniques to clean silly putty. Though it may seem like a difficult task at the beginning and you may even regret buying it in the first place, cleaning silly putty isn’t hard when you know the right steps.
Silly Putty is a top-rated product, and kids love it. However, sometimes Silly Putty can get stuck in the carpet, blankets, or even hair and needs to be safely removed. Thus, learning how to dissolve and dispose of Silly Putty properly is essential. Take note and learn different ways to remove silly putty fast and pain-free.
How to Get Silly Putty Out of Carpet
Method 1: Laundry Detergent
If rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover is not suitable for your carpet, use some mild laundry detergent to clean the silly putty from the carpet.
- Pour two spoonfuls of the laundry detergent into a bowl filled with warm water.
- Mix it well before soaking a cotton ball in the mixture.
- Use the cotton ball (or a small towel) to blot over the putty gently.
- Once the area is damp with the mixed solution, allow it to sit for at least 20 minutes while the laundry detergent breaks away the putty.
- Once the time is up, blot the stained area with a dry cloth to soak up the laundry detergent solution.
- Once you have dried it with the cloth, gently wipe up the stain using a damp cloth that you have wet slightly with plain water.
- If the mark is still there, repeat the method a few times to avoid stubborn stains.
- The remaining bits of putty left over, if there are any, should be easy to pick off using a blunt plastic knife.
Liquid laundry detergent with brilliant cleaning performance that leaves behind a refreshing Gain Original scent.
Gain laundry detergent works in both HE and regular machines, and the detergent lifts away dirt and locks in amazing scent to keep your laundry smelling great even after two weeks.
It contains Perfume Micro Capsules that gradually break and release scent while you wear your clothes. Gain Liquid Laundry Detergent in Original Scent combines overtones of orange, lemon, and blossoms with a modern fruity, green twist and undertones of white floral jasmine with a hint of woody amber.
- Original scent
- Phosphate Free
Method 2: Hydrogen Peroxide
If your carpet is white or very light in color, you might as well use some hydrogen peroxide to clean away the putty on the carpet.
- Find a spray bottle to mix one tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide into two cups of warm water.
- Once you have sprayed some of the solutions onto the putty stain, could you leave it to sit for up to 15 minutes?
- Use a dry cloth to gently wipe away the stain by blotting at it.
- Once the stain is cleared away, don’t forget to wash the spot with soap and warm water to clean off any remaining hydrogen peroxide.
32-fluid ounce bottle of first aid antiseptic. First aid to help prevent the risk of infection from minor cuts, scrapes, and burns. Active ingredient: 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Unlike technical grade peroxide, food-grade peroxide is stronger and contains NO chemical stabilizers.
- Safe Around Vegetation
- Liquid Hydrogen Peroxide
Method 3: Goo Gone
If you want a stronger product to keep at home for those spills and stains, you can opt for a product like Goo Gone.
- To clean your carpet this way, apply some Goo Gone onto an old towel or rag and gently wipe it over the putty stain.
- Let it sit for up to 10 minutes, especially if it is a tough stain, before gently wiping it away with a dry cloth.
- Use a damp cloth dipped in soap and warm water to clean away the last of the Goo Gone.
The surface-safe formula removes the goo without harming your surface. Formulated with citrus cleaning agents and a pleasant citrus scent.
Try it on stickers, wax, markers, crayons, glue, tar, window decals, glitter, gum, labels, and so much more.
Everything from wine glass label remover, scuff eraser, window sill cleaner, adhesive remover, tar cleaner, crayon drawing eraser, to glue remover. Use this to remove gum, tape, crayon, and sticker residue left behind by kids.
- Use on Carpet, Fabric, Stone
- Citrus scent
Method 4: Freezing silly putty
- The first thing you need is a bag of ice. A zip lock bag with enough ice in it to cover the whole area of the silly putty is what you need.
- Place the bag of ice on the silly putty and leave it for a few hours. If the ice starts to melt, change it; you want that silly putty more frozen.
- Once the silly putty is frozen, use a knife to break up the silly putty. The more it breaks up, the easier it is to get off the carpet. Make sure you have a garbage can with you as you do this so you can throw the hardened bits of silly putty straight into it.
Method 5: WD-40
- Soak the place in WD-40 for 20 minutes
- Pick the large bits of silly putty off with a butter knife
- Pour 3 Tsp of Oxi Clean and warm water on the area
- Brush the region with a toothbrush
- Then massage a cloth over the area.
Frees sticky mechanisms, loosens rust-to-metal bonds and helps release stuck, frozen, or rusted metal parts.
WD-40 removes grease, grime, gunk, gum, tar, sap, super glue, sticker residue, and other sticky stuff from multiple surfaces.
WD-40 Multi-Use Product protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture, and lubricates almost anything.
- Smart Straw Sprays 2 Ways
- Flip-up for a stream, down for spray
- 50-state VOC compliant
Common Questions About How to Get Silly Putty Out of Carpet
What is Silly Putty?
Silly Putty is a silicone polymer that was originally marketed as a children’s toy. It has unusual characteristics, such as being able to be molded and retain its shape.
How do you remove Silly Putty from the carpet?
Experts recommend scraping off as much putty as possible as a first step. A good option is to use ice cubes to chill the putty making it easier to scrape away. Many resorts to nail polish remover; saturate a cotton ball with nail polish and blot the stained area. Repeat as needed. Rubbing alcohol is a good substitute for nail polish remover.
What dissolves Silly Putty?
Two products that have proven effective in helping dissolve silly Putty include Goo Gone and WD-40.
Pour Goo Gone or WD-40 onto the area affected with Silly Putty. Apply enough of the Goo Gone or WD-40 to cover the affected area completely. Wait five minutes for the Goo Gone or WD-40 to have its effect completely. Removing the product early will lower the efficiency with which they dissolve Silly Putty.
Will vinegar remove Silly Putty?
If you want to try alternative ways to help remove Silly Putty, a good natural alternative is a white vinegar.
White vinegar is a natural solution for removing stains from carpet, fabric, and surfaces. It’s a safe and effective disinfectant and cleaner you can use all over the house and on Silly Putty.
Vinegar’s stain lifting power makes it an ideal solution because it’s gentler than most stain removers. White vinegar won’t usually stain fabrics, but because it’s acidic, never use its full strength for cleaning or removing stains. Always mix it with water and be careful not to soak upholstery and other fabrics too much.
How do you get putty out of the carpet with vinegar?
- Get a cup of warm water and mix a tablespoon of white vinegar in it.
- Pour your cleaning solution over the Silly Putty stain and allow it to soak for about five minutes. The acid in the vinegar should cause the Silly Putty to let go of the carpet so you can scrape it up.
- Use a butter knife or a spoon to get all the putty out of the carpet.
- To remove the lingering vinegar odor, use baking soda to scrub the area lightly, dab dry, and vacuum up the rest.
Additional Tips on How to Get Silly Putty Out of Carpet
- Before attempting the removal method, test each procedure on an inconspicuous area of the material or surface to be cleaned. Sometimes, it may be best to consult a professional cleaner for recommendations.
- Hydrogen peroxide can easily stain carpets, so you must do a spot test to ensure it won’t affect your carpet by leaving any marks.
- If you don’t have a cotton ball, you can also use a towel or washcloth.
- Discard the pieces of silly putty as you scrape them off.
- When scraping the putty out of the carpet, if you try to use your fingers, you will get it under your nails and accidentally pull pieces of it free, leaving you to start the process all over again. When using a spoon, you have a solid surface that picks up the putty, so you don’t have to worry about this happening.
- Goo Gone breaks down sticky residues within 10 minutes, allowing you to wipe away the stain without any fuss.
Ever come across infestations in your car? Find out how to get rid of ants inside your car.